Monday, May 31, 2010

New adventures

What with all the studying involved in Med School, one thing I've had to do is find new places to study. I've never had much success with serious studying at home, mostly because I get too distracted, I think. And usually I've just camped out at the library, which works out pretty good. The Health Sciences Library is in the same building where I've had all my classes and it's a nice, new library with good computers, so it's been pretty convenient.

But now I'm deep into studying for Step 1 Boards, which is a whole other ballgame. I've still been spending time at the library, but seeing as I don't have lectures to go to, I'm spending almost the entire day at the library, instead of just a few hours after class. So it's beginning to get a bit old, being in the same place *all the time*.

The library is closed today for Memorial Day, so I took this chance to try a new place to study. I'm at Panera, which is working out okay so far, but I'm not really sure I'm the "coffeehouse studying" kind of person. So I present to you, a list of the reasons I'll probably always be a library studier:

1. I always feel guilty, sitting at a table for hours. Even though I make a point to buy something when I first come in (coffee and a pastry, today), it doesn't really take me that long to eat those things, so then I'm just sitting at the table. And Panera makes you read this little note before you sign onto their WiFi, basically telling you not to hog the big tables when they are busy. But, of course, the only tables that are near outlets are larger, plus I have a lot of books to spread out, so here I am at a bigger table. So far it's been pretty quiet, so I don't feel too guilty yet, but when the Lunch crowd shows up, I might end up moving.

1a. Panera is stingy with their internet. I got kicked off after a half hour during "peak hours" (noon-ish), which is lame. It wasn't even really that busy, so it's not like I was preventing others from getting a table, and I did buy lunch there. I no longer feel guilty about using their internet, now I'm just annoyed. If I do become a coffeehouse study-er, I don't think I'll be going to Panera very often.

2. Public places are more distracting. While I've been here so far, this guy has been interviewing for a nanny for his kids, I think. I've tried not to totally eavesdrop (mostly because I have work to do), but what I've heard sounds like an interview. And the girl who was just here was dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt--what's that about? I mean, it's probably a more laid back interview than some, especially since the guy was wearing casual clothes, too, but come on. I'd think she'd try harder than that.

3. I feel self-conscious studying in front of a bunch of other people. When I do weird stuff like chew on my pen or play with my hair, I worry that people are looking at me. Even though people can see me when I study in the library, too, it seems a bit more private because people aren't constantly coming in and out. Plus, in the library, most other people are studying, too, so I figure they wouldn't likely notice if I was doing something strange.

On the plus side, getting out of the library increases the chance of seeing other people, making me feel like less of a hermit. For example, while I was studying, a guy near me noticed my Step 1 books, and started chatting with me about Boards. He's an MD/PhD who just finished his PhD, so he is joining our class next year on rotations. He gave me some tips about studying, though I'm not sure I can trust him, since I kind of got the feeling that he's one of those super-genius med students. He said that when he took the Boards a few years ago, he moved up his test date to only 2 weeks after he started studying, and still did well. Ostensibly, this was his way of saying not to worry too much, but come on, dude. That would be like me taking the test this week. No way I'd be ready.

But still, it's nice to talk to new people. So maybe the trip out was a good idea. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment