Wednesday, December 2, 2009

It was only a matter of time....

I think I just became a coffee-drinker.

For the first 23 years of my life, I never drank coffee, minus the occasional sip at a wedding or other occasion (followed by dislike of the taste and continued non-consumption). But this year, as med school continues unrelentingly, I began to think it was time I learned to like coffee. So far, I've been able to maintain my 8 hours of sleep nearly every night, but there are still days that I feel sleepy and in need of caffiene. Plus, I know my future holds many a night of on-call or other long shifts, so I doubted I'd be able to handle that lifestyle with caffiene from tea or Coke alone, as I had done so far.

So a couple of months ago, I bought a cup of coffee at the coffee cart at school, on a day when I was literally falling asleep in lecture. And I choked down about one-third of it (black, because I don't want the hassle or calories of cream and sugar). ANd, again, about a month or so after that, I bought another cup on an afternoon when I was tired and having trouble focusing. Both times, the coffee had the desired effect, and kept me up, but I really didn't like it.

But today...I got another cup, and I actually enjoyed the taste. I mean, it's not my favorite thing in the world (that would be chocolate), but I've finished almost the whole cup, and I really don't mind it at all.

Check. One more milestone on the road to becoming a doctor achieved.

1 comment:

  1. MOCHA!!! I know fancy coffees are not cheap, but if you like chocolate, you must try a mocha! I personally am a mint mocha girl and I don't like coffee either. But whenever someone asks to go out for coffee (which is next to never!) that's what I get =)

    ReplyDelete